For Immediate Release
Local Contact: Michael Williamson
Phone: +1 (519) 750-3907
Tuesday February 4, 2020 —- Toronto, Ontario – Following the overwhelming success of the record-breaking Brampton Cup 2020 held this past weekend, President of Boxing Ontario, Jennifer Huggins, helps to sum up the experience:
“Brampton Cup 2020 encompassed 540 boxers, over 300 bouts, thousands of spectators, 7 provinces, 5 countries, 3 days, 3 rings, and one incredible tournament thanks to the Bramalea Boxing Club.
We have so much appreciation for all the athletes, volunteers, coaches, officials, doctors who make events like this possible. We are especially grateful to the incredible heart and soul behind the 38 years of Brampton Cup; Peter and Kathy Sjouwerman!
Ontario has put itself on the map for boxing both locally and internationally over the years. As we continue to grow and reach new heights, we’re excited as an association to develop and offer new exciting opportunities to the boxing world.”
Boxing Ontario in association with Green Hill Boxing equipment are pleased to announce that the upcoming Champion Tournament Series kicking-off from June 26 through 28, 2020. This event, formerly known as the Bronze Gloves, will be an international open tournament. Associations and clubs are now being invited to send all categories to make this the biggest event in Canadian history. We can only do it with your help and assistive promotion. We’ll have a full package for you to send to your domestic and international contacts shortly. However, before we launch, we want to have you participate every step of the way. You could hold the bragging rights of having the tournament named by you. We will have this contest open to all members who wish to throw their name in the headgear. Winner will be drawn in 2 weeks and will receive a Green Hill prize pack.
This first tournament sanctioned by Boxing Ontario will be a throwback to our heyday with international talent climbing through the ropes.
“We are very pleased to come to the decision to build upon our success over the last decade. There is now a need and a calling for such a step forward. Boxing Ontario is assembling a Tournament Committee led by Michael Williamson. The committee will embody the principles employed by Boxing Ontario of both hard work and big picture strategic thinking. We’re excited and confident in their ability to build outstanding events.”
~Jennifer Huggins | Boxing Ontario, President
The plans see the championship series running as follows:
- Tournament 1: This international event will represent an open call for boxers worldwide. Girls, boys, women, men, Novice to open and fun box to masters. (Formerly known as Bronze Gloves – Naming and bragging rights available – Submit Name Suggestion Below)
- Tournament 2: Formerly known as Silver Gloves being held at the end of September 2020. This Ontario driven tournament will seed our Provincials. All non-advancing categories are open to boxers outside Ontario. (Naming and bragging rights available – Submit Name Suggestion Below)
- Tournament 3: The Ontario Golden Gloves will be held at the end of November/early December and will still be used as our Provincial Championship for both novice and open class boxers.
- Tournament 4: The annual Brampton Cup will return in 2021 as the country’s most exciting developmental tournament. Respect the Cup!
“We have an ever-growing boxing scene in Ontario and we are thrilled to have the opportunity to host these premier events. Myself, along with the tournament committee, are confident that we will put together an unforgettable experience for our boxers, and we can’t wait to see you ringside!”
A call out is now being held to finalize the committee roster and you can find the links to read more and apply below.
- For a list of the current Committee appointments please see: Boxing Ontario Committee Announcement
- To apply to Ad Hoc Tournament Committees: APPLY NOW
For additional information, contact tournament committee director, Michael Williamson – [email protected]