Below you will find detailed information regarding the volunteer positions that have opened within Boxing Ontario. The positions are as follows:
· Medical Director
· Marketing Rep
· Provincial Official
· Provincial Coach
· Athlete’s Representative
If you feel you would like to contribute to the sport and our organization please submit a resume (for the specific position) and a short note on why you would like to be a part of the team to Matt Kennedy on or before the closing date December 28, 2015. The final selection will be made shortly thereafter.
The Medical Director is appointed by the Executive Committee of Boxing Ontario and ratified by the Board of Director at the Annual General Meeting.
The Medical Director is a licensed physician (MD) with an independent license to practice medicine in Ontario.
The Medical Director should be certified by the Canadian Academy of Sports with a Diploma in Sports Medicine.
Excellent clinical skills and familiarity with planning and managing of boxing or sports events is crucial.
The Medical Director will Chair the Medical Commission of Boxing Ontario and serves as the Chief Medical Officer for Each Provincial Championships hosted by Boxing Ontario.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Medical Director provides the association with an informed body to make recommendations on programs and activities that are aligned with the goals and mission of Boxing Ontario.
• Member of the Board of Director
• The Medical Director is a non-voting member of the Board of Directors
• Meetings twice a year (Annual General Meeting & Semi-Annual Meeting)
• Convening and Chairing the Medical Commission
• Facilitating policies to ensure the safety of our athletes;
• Coordinating with the Provincial Directors to establish the Medical Commission and committees necessary to complete the ongoing development of safety initiatives or program;
• Review the composition of these committees and sub-committees from time to time ensuring representation of appropriate stakeholder groups;
• Conducting seminars and educational sessions or events for athletes, coaches, managers and relevant stakeholders on boxing safety issues;
• The Medical Director will develop processes to collect and analyse relevant data to assess the impact and effectiveness of various proposed initiatives.
• Coordinating and overseeing National Championships including:
• Availability during the National Championships periods;
The Marketing Rep will:
– Update the marketing plan for the organization in conjunction with the VP Admin and the Executive director
– Assist in the recruitment of potential sponsors.
– Assist staff in the promotion of all programs and services.
– Required Skills/Background – a background in marketing and promotion – experience in fund raising and event management would be an asset.
The Treasurer’s main area of responsibility shall be financial.
o Sign all instruments which require his/her signature, perform all duties incident to his/her office and have such powers and duties as may be prescribed by the Board,
o Ensure that a detailed financial report is available for all members of Boxing Ontario attending the annual meeting,
o Be responsible for the accurate recording of Boxing Ontario’s staff salary documents,
o Carry out the necessary procedures connected with the application for and recording of all Government grants,
o From time to time or as deemed necessary submit the statements of financial transactions for the purpose of accurate record-keeping,
o Cause to be kept proper accounting records as required by the Act,
o Cause to be deposited all monies received by Boxing Ontario into Boxing Ontario’s bank account,
o as directed by the Board of Directors shall supervise the management and disbursement of funds of Boxing Ontario
o When required, provide the Board of Directors with an account of financial transactions and the financial position of Boxing Ontario,
o Present audited financial statements to Members at the Annual General Meeting, unless presented by the Auditor,
o Advise the Executive Director on financial matters, and
o Perform such other duties as may from time to time be established by the Board of Directors.
The Treasurer shall at all times further and protect the interests of Boxing Ontario.
Required Skills/Background – a background in finance or accounting and previous experience in working with a not-for-profit would be an asset.
The Provincial Official shall be a member of the Technical Committee and shall chair all meetings of the Officials Commission.
2. The Provincial Official represent Boxing Ontario’s Officials Commission at all Canadian Amateur Boxing Association Referees/Judges Commission Meetings or appoints a qualified official to represent him.
3. The Provincial Official shall maintain an up to date list of Ontario officials and their qualifications for such meetings.
4. The Provincial Official shall have the following duties and responsibilities:
a. To enforce the rules of the Canadian Amateur Boxing Association and the policies of Boxing Ontario with respect to Boxing Ontario’s sanctioned competitions.
b. To uphold and to improve the standard of officiating at all Boxing Ontario’s sanctioned cards and competitions.
c. To plan, organize and to carry out technical officials clinics throughout the province
d. To monitor and to judge the performance of Boxing Ontario’s officials, including their upgrading based on their performance throughout the year and at clinics.
e. To be the “official in charge” at provincial tournaments, competitions, championships, invitational and international events, or to appoint such an “official in charge.”
f. To communicate with Boxing Ontario’s Regional Officials and to inform them of all relevant new developments concerning rules and officiating.
To place before the Technical Committee:
1. All new rules for discussion and adoption, and to present these to the Canadian Amateur Boxing Association’s Officials Commission for approval and adoption.
To appoint an Assistant Chief Official to assist him in the execution of his duties and to represent him in his absence.
3. The Provincial Official shall have the power to suspend from further participation at an event, competition or tournament, or downgrade any of Boxing Ontario’s Officials for misconduct or knowing disregard of the Rules and Regulations. This will be done in collaboration with the VP of Protocol. Any such suspension may be appealed in accordance with Section II of the Constitution.
4. The Provincial Official shall at all times further and protect the interests of Boxing Ontario.
1.The Provincial Coach shall chair all meetings of Boxing Ontario’s Coaches Commission.
2. He/she shall:
a. Be responsible for the implementation of provincial coaching programs and the overall development and proficiency of coaches throughout Ontario
b. Be responsible for the upgrading of coaches and the improvement of the effectiveness of coaching
c. Assist in the planning, organizing and holding of regular technical coaching courses/clinics
d. Assist other provincial coaches with particular coaching problems
e. Communicate with other coaches and make available to all information on the national or international scene
f. When requested by the VP Technical, represent the province of Ontario at provincial, national or international coaching meetings, clinics or seminars
g. Assist the VP Technical in the planning and organizing of training camps for provincial teams attending national and/or international competitions and if requested assist with such training camps
h. Recommend to the VP Technical the upgrading of certain competitors
I. Assist in the selection of Boxing Ontario’s teams for national and international competitions
j. In consultation with other members of the coaching Commission select the coaches to accompany provincial teams whether attending national championships or out-of-province competitions.
3. The Provincial Coach shall be responsible to investigate and prepare a report on discipline problems in respect to coaches and report such findings to the VP Protocol.
4. The Provincial Coach shall at all times further and protect the interests of Boxing Ontario
The Athlete’s Representative will gather input and information from athletes and represent such information to the Technical Committee and/or Board of Directors; communicate and promote the view and interests of athletes; keep athletes informed of policies, program and development; define and secure athlete’s rights; and will perform such other duties as may from time to time be established by the Board. The athlete’s representative shall be a member of the technical committee and shall be an advocate for athletes while in role.
Thank you for your continued support!